Sunday, December 9, 2007

Double Chocolate Goodness


Time is short. We're almost halfway through our chocolate advent calendar and there's still so much baking to be done. New cookies to try, old favorites to produce, and somewhere in there get my kitchen cleaned to the point where I can actually see the counters again. (Too many bookmarked cookbooks piled everywhere!) So today I'm not going to bore entertain you with a rambling anecdote. We'll get right to the meat of the matter. Or, more appropriately, the chocolate of the matter. Double chocolate in fact.

I've had a copy of this recipe from the August issue of Gourmet sitting on my pile for months. When I finally got around to making them, I wondered why on earth I'd taken so long. They are fabulous! Moist chocolatey cookies with chunks of chocolate, pecans, and dried sour cherries. They're wonderful fresh, but they mature nicely in the cookie jar. The dried fruit keeps the cookie soft and chewy for up to a 5 days in an airtight container, if for some reason they hang around that long.

If you wanted to dress them up for a party, you could drizzle a little ganache over the top, but for taste, they are delightful as is. Lots of chocolatey goodness with the crunch of nuts and the tangy counterpoint of sour cherries. Mmmm. This recipe is staying in my keeper pile!

Cherry Double-Chocolate Cookies
adapted from Gourmet

makes about 2 dozen cookies

1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
Scant 12 tsp salt
1-1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1-1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
3-1/2 oz. fine-quality milk chocolate, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
1 cup dried sour cherries

1- Preheat oven to 375 deg. F with racks in upper and lower thirds.

2- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.

3- Beat together the butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, then add eggs 1 at a time, beating until combined well. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture, mixing until just combined. Add chocolate chunks, pecans, and cherries and mix until just incorporated.

4- Drop 2 level Tablespoons of dough per cookie about 2 inches apart onto 2 ungreased large baking sheets. With dampened fingers, flatten cookies slighty.

5- Bake, switching position of sheets halfway through baking, top to bottom and rotating the sheets. After 12 to 1 minutes the cookies should be puffed and set. Transfer cookies to a rack to cool.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

These do look fabulous! I love the picture of your son. He's got double- chocolate brown eyes!
I just bought some dried cherries yesterday. I think I will whip these up on the week end.

Peabody said...

Get busy baking :) I am halfway through my chocolate avent calander this year too. But luckily I have been in a baking frenzy.
These cookies look very similar to what I brought to cookie exchange...and they were good.

Gigi said...

I'm bringing these to a cookie exchange. Your son is too cute!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

That little face says it all.
I think I could use a little double double chocolate. Did you save me any?
I've been baking, a lot, just not cookies.

Brilynn said...

I so need a chocolate hit and these cookies could definitely do it for me, they look fantastic!

Anne said...

Hi Lynn! These cookies looks really chocolatey. I love the picture of your son...so cute! I'm still on vacation here in Manila and although I promised myself I won't do any blogging and surfing I couldn't help myself in commenting when i saw your cookies. I would definitely try this when I get home.

I would also like to thank you for the recipe of white chocolate macadamia cookies and chocolate peanut butter cookies. I made them as gifts for my niece and nephews here in manila and everyone loved them! Thanks again :)

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Melinda - How can you not love a child with chocolate eyes? Except he makes me hungry.

Peabody - Do you do a big cookie exchange? The one I do is now 5 people. Not too many cookies and low stress.

Gigi- I hope they love them!

My Kitchen In Half Cups - I can just imagine the amazing bread coming out of your kitchen. Mmm. Trade bread for cookies?

Brilynn - Any recipe for a good day has chocolate in it.

Anne - How sweet of you to leave a comment while you're on vacation! I hope you're having a great time. I'm so glad your cookies worked out as gifts.

Patricia Scarpin said...

These cookies look fabulous, Lynn!!!
I think I'll try these with the dried cranberries I received as a gift!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

but I LOVE your anecdotes, Lynn!! I hope you'll share one in your next post :0)

mmm, those cherry-double-chocolate cookies look quite delectable - my version would have to be made with carob though (and would have to be vegan, haha).

Unknown said...

What a cutie pie!!!! I think he's delicious, too. :-) I haven't started my baking yet, as I'm still in my rotations at the hospital. HOwever, I get out on Friday for Christmas break, so I'll be doing my baking then...YAY!!!

Kristen - Dine & Dish said...

Look at that sweet face....and at those cookies. Oh my gosh! Those look delicious!

Cheryl said...

Chocolate and cherry always make a great combination. These look so decadent. Make me wanna make cookies.

Nora B. said...

Love that photo of your son!

This cookie recipe will be a good one to add to my cookie repertoire - thanks for sharing.

Nora