Saturday, November 28, 2009

Pumpkin's Last Hurrah



It's been a very pumpkiny fall for me. I've tried some new pumpkin recipes and baked several old favorites. But I see the end is in sight. My pumpkin binge is waning and the peppermint season is coming on. As a final send off for pumpkin, I would like to share with you the cupcakes I made to use up the leftover maple cream cheese frosting from this cake. They were moist and delicious, perfect thrones for the maple cream cheese topping.

Goodby fall. It's been wonderful. We've shared so much - especially pumpkin. I hope to see you again....in about 9 months.

Pumpkin and Maple Cupcakes
- adapted from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes
makes 15

3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for the tins
1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the tins
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
Maple Cream Cheese Frosting

1- Preheat the oven to 325 deg. F. Brush standard muffin tins with butter; dust with flour and tap out the excess.

2- In a small saucepan melt the butter over medium-olow heat. Cook, swirling occasionally, until the butter turns golden brown. Skim foam off the top and pour the butter into a bowl to stop the cooking. Leave any burned sediment in the pan. Let the butter cool.

3- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.

4- In another bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, both sugars, eggs and browned butter. Add the flour mixture and whisk just until combined.

5- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared tins, filling each three-quarters full. Bake about 20 minutes, rotating the tins halfway through baking. Check for doneness with a cake tester inserted near the center - when it comes out clean, they're done.

6- Transfer the tins to wire racks to cool completely before removing cupcakes.

7- Spread the frosting over each cupcake and, if desired, dust with decorative sprinkles.

14 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Perfect pumpkin treat to end the season :)

Michelle said...

These look awesome! I may have to make these with one of my last cans of pumpkin!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

We are always looking for ways to use the pumpkin as delicious as this.

grace said...

as a pumpkin-disliker, all i can say to you is BRING ON THE PEPPERMINT! :)

Maria said...

I never get sick of pumpkin. I can't wait to see your holiday baking posts:)

Dolce said...

I guess at this point I am actually looking forward to Christmas baking, thinking gingerbread... :)

CookiePie said...

I never tire of pumpkin - and those cupcakes look fabulous!

Debbie said...

Oh yum...they look and sound great!

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm not giving up on pumpkin yet!

Abby said...

Same here! I had a bit of pumpkin left over from my pumpkin bars last week, so I'm going to make and freeze some pancakes for easy breakfasts.

I've never had pumpkin cupcakes; my sister is a BIG pumpkin fan. I'll have to try these for her!

Abby said...

Same here! I had a bit of pumpkin left over from my pumpkin bars last week, so I'm going to make and freeze some pancakes for easy breakfasts.

I've never had pumpkin cupcakes; my sister is a BIG pumpkin fan. I'll have to try these for her!

Barbara said...

Fun title for your post today! I do love pumpkin. Not quite as crazy about peppermint, but I made some cookies recently that I really liked. Can't see what you come up with next!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I completely disregarded pumpkin this year. And now I'm feeling guilty. I'd feel better if I had one of your cupcakes. :)

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Each recipe I look at here is better than the one before. Keep on baking and inspiring me.